EL TRADES OPTIONS

This blog will show my longer term Swing trades using OPTIONS. I use specific income producing option strategies with a DIRECTIONAL BIAS. Having a directional bias is critical in earning more, even from what are generally called income trades such as butterflies and condors. The aim of my strategies is to give me more than a 66% edge and to provide a greater than 80% win rate within that edge. The blog shows you the trades I make and how I manage them. For my directional bias, I use the same EL methodology as I employ in my day trading that you have seen for years in the original ElectronicLocal blog. Read the disclaimer.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Widening the Tent

Firstly, good to see your comments guys. Thanks.


Option Net gives both a visual and a mathematical representation of risk and a what the position can do under different scenarios. But perhaps the most powerful feature is that I can go back in time and use the 5 minute historical data to fairly accurately back test strategies. If you are a reader of the EL day trading blog you will know what how important I think back testing is. The P&L in the software is cumulative for the strategy I am doing. That is to say, I put the position on and then I make adjustments and the software keeps track of each adjustment. In this way, if I am trying to make, say,  10%. It shows the 10% based on all adjustments and calculates it against the maximum margin I have used.


Margin is another issue. If you are a regular retail customer with less than about $100k in your options account, you get Reg-T margining which is a SPAN based margin. If you are a bigger customer, you can get Portfolio Margins which are much lower. I calculate my returns on the Reg-T even thought I get the benefit of Portfolio.


As we get going with the blog, I will try and explain more about the strategies.


You should understand that my strategies are so-called income strategies but based on a directional bias. This means that my trades can mature much more quickly and that my capital turns over more often = higher percentage return per year.

No comments:

Post a Comment